Dr. Jimmy Lam
Director of Urology SA (2007 – present)
- Calvary North Adelaide Hospital
- St Andrews Hospital
- Ashford Private Hospital
Senior Visiting Consultant Urologist:
- Repatriation General Hospital, Daws Rd Daw Park SA 5041 (2007 – present)
- Flinders Medical Centre Bedford Park (2007 – present)
- Royal Adelaide Hospital (2008 – present)
- Noarlunga Hospital (2008 – present)
- Kangaroo Island Hospital (2007 – present)
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS)
- Urological Society of Australia and New Zealand (USANZ)
- Society of Urological Robotic Surgeons
- Endourological society
- Australian and New Zealand Urogenital and Prostate Clinical Trials Group (ANZUP)
- Steering Committee Member for the South Australian Prostate Cancer Clinical Outcome Collaborative (SA-PCCOC)
- Australian Medical Association (AMA)
- Australian Chinese Medical Association – South Australia (ACMA)
- Medical Defence Association of South Australia (MDASA)
- University Of New South Wales, Australia
M.B.B.S. (Honours Class 2 Division 1) 1997
- The Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
FRACS (Urology) 2007
- Current Registration with Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA)
- Recipient of the American Medical System Prosthetic Traveling Fellowship 2010.
- Australasian Urological Foundation/Schering Travel Grant – International Preceptorship in Laparoscopic Urology, March- April 2007.
- St Paul's Ball – Best Presentation at Urological Society of Australasia – South Australia and Northern Territory Section Meeting, November 2004.
- Ranking in the top 500 students in the 1990 Higher School Certificate (NSW)
- Champagnant Award for School Dux – 1990
- St.Patrick's Marist Brothers College, Dundas 1985 – 1990
- HSC TER 99.05 Ranking within the top 500 in the state of NSW
- University Of New South Wales, Australia
Bachelor of Science (Medicine)
Bachelor of Medicine/Surgery (Honours Class 2 Division 1) 1997
- 1997 – 1999 Internship and Junior residency – St George Hospital
- 2000 – 2002 General Surgical Training – Gosford/ Wyong/ Albury/ Liverpool/ Tamworth/ Bankstown Hospital
- 2003 – 2006 Urological Training and Fellowship – TQEH/ Repatriation General Hosptial/ RAH/ RNSH
Post-graduate courses attended
- May 1998 Dunedin, New Zealand, Basic Medical Sciences Course.
- EMST course 11-13 June 1999.
- Laparoscopy Workshop, Northern Clinical Skills Centre, The University of Sydney, April 2000.
- Laparoscopic Workshop, 15 June 2002, RPA Animal Laboratory, Sydney.
- Open Stapling Workshop, 15 June 2002, RPA Animal Laboratory, Sydney.
- Anatomy of Complications Workshop, UROLOGY 2003, Collaborative Training and Education Centre (CTEC), UWA Perth WA.
- Hands-On Urodynamics Course 11-13 March 2004, Sydney Australia.
- "A Best Practice Workshop in Urological Oncology" June 2004, Sydney Australia.
- 5th National Prostate Cancer & Telerobotic Surgery Symposium, August 2004 The Epworth Hospital Melbourne Australia.
- Tyco Laparoscopic Nephrectomy and pyeloplasty Workshop, 20th Aug 2004.
- Urological Ultrasound Workshop, Concord Hospital Sydney, Nov 2005.
- HoLEP workshop, Nepean Hospital (Dr Gilling, Dr Varol), 28th July 2006.
- Surgical Teachers Course at Royal Australasian College of Surgeons Melbourne, Victoria, 5-7 October 2006.
- Laser Safety Training Course at Westmead Hospital Medical Physics Department, 18th November 2006.
- Radiation Safety Training Course at Westmead Hospital Medical Physics Department, 5th December 2006.
- Pelvic Organ Prolapse workshop at the Concord Repatriation General Hospital, 4th December 2006.
- International Preceptorship in Laparoscopic Urology with Professor Inderbid Gill at the Cleveland clinic, March – April 2007.
- AMS – Pelvic Floor Workshop, With Dr Chris Barry, 6th July 2007, University of Adelaide Medical School.
- HoLEP course, Tauranga Hospital, New Zealand (Dr Peter Gilling) 29th – 30th August 2007.
- 1st Annual Asia Pacific Greenlight Laser Prostatectomy Workshop, Sydney Adventist Hospital, Wahroonga Sydney (Dr Gordon Muir and Dr Henry Woo) 29th – 30th October 2007.
- Steggles 2007 da Vinci Robotic Prostatectomy Workshop, St Vincent's Hospital Sydney 29th -30th November 2007 with Dr Vipul Patel.
- AMS traveling fellowship in Prosthetic surgery, 23rd May – 28th May 2010 with Dr Dean Knoll and Dr Brian Christine, Nashville, Birmingham, Minneapolis.
- Greenlight workshop – Current Trends in the Treatment of BPH with Greenlight HPS with Dr Ricardo Gonzalez, Methodist Hospital, Houston, Texas 3rd – 4th June 2010.
- 4th Annual Asia Pacific Greenlight Laser Prostatectomy Workshop, Sydney Adventist Hospital, Wahroonga Sydney (A/Prof Henry Woo and Dr Benjamin Choi) 29th – 30th October 2010.
- 5th Annual Asia Pacific Greenlight Laser Prostatectomy Workshop, Sydney Adventist Hospital, Wahroonga Sydney, 4th – 5th July 2011.
- GreenLight Trainer Faculty Summit, Sydney Australia, 21st-22nd November 2011.
- 6th International Symposium on Robotic Urologic Surgery, Cleveland Clinic, Glickman Urological and Kidney Institute, 10-11th October 2014.
- Robotic Surgery Robotic-Assisted Partial Nephrectomy Workshop, Epworth Healthcare, 27th March 2015.
- Member of the ASSET (Australian and New Zealand Surgical Skills Education and Training Course Programme 2011) Faculty, 22nd July 2011, University of Adelaide, SA.
- Member of the ASSET (Australian and New Zealand Surgical Skills Education and Training Course Programme 2012) Faculty, 19th September 2012, University of Adelaide, SA.
- Invited Faculty at USANZ Trainee week, Adelaide, South Australia 23 – 27th November 2014.
- Current member of the Australian GreenLight Laser Education Faculty.
Clinical Problems in Medicine and Surgery 3rd Edition By Peter G Devitt
Chapter 8. A scrotal swelling in a 27-year-old man
Chapter 21. The routine check-up
GCP Training: Completed 11 April 2013. Certificate Number: 1158261
NIH Web-based training course "Protecting Human Research Participants"
Medidata RAVE eCRF: Rave 5.6 EDC Essentials for Investigators with Data Entry, 11 Feb 2014
Principal Investigator RGH
- Cancer Council Victoria TOAD VCOG PR1-03 / TROG 03.06 - A collaborative randomised Cancer phase III trial: The timing of intervention with androgen deprivation in prostate cancer patients with a rising PSA. May 2004 – October 2014
- IMPACT Study MREC Reference: 05/MRE07/25 – Identification of men with a genetic predisposition to Prostate Cancer: Targeted screening in men at higher genetic risk and controls.- ongoing
- Astellas SYNERGY 101 (178-CL-101) A Randomized, Double-Blind, Parallel-Group, Placebo- and Active-Controlled, Multi-center Study to Evaluate the Efficacy, Safety and Tolerability of Combinations of Solifenacin Succinate and Mirabegron Compared to Solifenacin Succinate and Mirabegron Monotherapy in the Treatment of Overactive Bladder. Mar 2014 – ongoing
- Astellas SYNERGY 102 (178-CL-102) A Randomized, Double-Blind, Parallel-Group, Active-Controlled, Multi-center Study to Evaluate the Long-Term Safety and Efficacy of Combination of Solifenacin Succinate with Mirabegron Compared to Solifenacin Succinate and Mirabegron Monotherapy in Subjects with Overactive Bladder. June 2014 - ongoing
- Abbott Oncology – M00-211: A Phase III, Randomised, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study of the Safety and Efficacy of 10 mg Atrasentan in Men with Metastatic, Hormone-Refractory Prostate Cancer. M00-244: A Phase III, Randomised, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study of the Safety and Efficacy of 10 mg Atrasentan in Men with Non-Metastatic, Hormone-Refractory Prostate Cancer. M00-258: A Phase III Extension Study to Evaluate the Safety of 10mg Atrasentan in Men with Hormone-Refractory Prostate Cancer. 2001 – 2006
- Repatriation General Hospital Urology - A randomised prospective trial of audio-recording consultation(s) to discuss management options following a diagnosis of prostate cancer after a prostate biopsy, or for a second opinion. 2001 – 2006
- Schwarz Biosciences -SP 583: A Phase 3, Parallel Group, Randomized, Double-blind, Double-dummy, Placebo and Active-controlled Multicenter Trial to Investigate the Efficacy, Tolerability and Safety of Fesoterodine Sustained Release in Subjects with Overactive Bladder Syndrome. SP738: Long-term open-label extension study for subjects completing the Phase 3 study of Fesoterodine (SP583) for the treatment of Overactive Bladder Syndrome. 2004 – 2007
- Allergan 191622-515 - A Multicenter, Double-Blind, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Parallel-Group Study of the Safety and Efficacy of Repeat Treatment with Two Dose Levels of BOTOX® (Botulinum Toxin Type A) Purified Neurotoxin Complex Followed by a Treatment with BOTOX® in Patients With Urinary Incontinence Due to Neurogeni Detrusor Overactivity. 2006 – 2009
- Allergan 191622517 - A Multicenter, Double-Blind, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Dose Response Study to Evaluate the Safety and Efficacy of a Single Treatment of BOTOX® (Botulinum Toxin Type A) Purified Neurotoxin Complex Injected into the Prostate for the Treatment of Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms in Patients due to Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia. 2007 – 2010
- Allergan 191622-094 – A Multicenter, Long-Term Follow-up Study of the Safety and Efficacy of Two Dose Levels of BOTOX® (Botulinum Toxin Type A) Purified Neurotoxin Complex in Patients with Urinary Incontinence Due to Neurogenic Detrusor Overactivity. Jul 2009 – Dec 2012
- Auxilium AUX-CC-803 - A Phase 3, Double-Blind, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Study of the Safety and Effectiveness of AA4500 Administered Twice per Treatment Cycle for Up to Four Treatment Cycles (2 x 4) in Men With Peyronie's Disease. Oct 2010 – Nov 2011
- Ipsen - A prospective non-interventional study to evaluate the effect of Triptorelin Embonate (Diphereline™ 11.25mg) on lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) in Australian Prostate Cancer patients. Oct 2010 – December 2014
- TheraVeda THVD-201-002 - Comparison of THVD-201, a Combination of Tolterodine and a Muscarinic Agonist vs. Tolterodine Alone vs. Placebo in Subjects with Overactive Bladder (OAB) Symptoms. Mar 2010 – Dec 2012
- Auxilium AUX-CC-806 - A Phase 3, open-label study of the safety and effectiveness of AA4500 administered twice per treatment cycle for up to four treatment cycles (2 x 4) in men with Peyronie's Disease Oct 2012 – December 2013
- Sophiris PRX 302 - A Randomized, Double-Blind, Vehicle-Controlled, Multicenter Safety and Efficacy Study of a Single Intraprostatic Treatment of PRX302 for Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms Secondary to Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (The PLUS 1 Trial) March 2014 – ongoing
- Abstract Published in The Australian and New Zealand Journal of Surgery Vol. 69 Supplement May 1999 - "Warfarin and Cutaneous Surgery" – J.Lim, J.Lam, J.Clark, A.Knox, M.Poole
- "Proximal Anastomotic Circumferential Teflon Collar in Juxta-Renal AAA repair" – Margovsky A, La N, Lam J, Bourke B. ANZ Journal of Surgery Vol. 71 Supplement May 2001
- "Warfarin And Cutaneous Surgery: A Preliminary Prospective Study" - J.Lam, J.Lim, J.Clark, A.Knox and M.Poole, British Journal of Plastic Surgery, 54(4):372-3, 2001 Jun
- "The rs10993994 risk allele for prostate cancer results in clinically relevant changes in microseminoprotein-beta expression in tissue and urine.". PLoS One. 2010 Oct 13;5(10):e13363. Whitaker HC, Kote-Jarai Z, Ross-Adams H, Warren AY, Burge J, George A, Bancroft E, Jhavar S, Leongamornlert D, Tymrakiewicz M, Saunders E, Page E, Mitra A, Mitchell G, Lindeman GJ, Evans DG, Blanco I, Mercer C, Rubinstein WS, Clowes V, Douglas F, Hodgson S, Walker L, Donaldson A, Izatt L, Dorkins H, Male A, Tucker K, Stapleton A, Lam J, Kirk J, Lilja H, Easton D; IMPACT Study Steering Committee; IMPACT Study Collaborators; UK GPCS Collaborators, Cooper C, Eeles R, Neal DE.
- "Photoselective vaporization of the prostate using the 180W lithium triborate laser" – ANZ J Surg. 2012 May;82(5):334-7 - Amanda S. J. Chung,* Charles Chabert,‡ Hin-Wai Yap,§ Jimmy Lam,¶ Nader Awad,† Fadi Nuwayhid,** Frank Redwig,** Prem Rashid† and Henry H. Woo*
- "Role of Engrailed-2 (EN2) as a prostate cancer detection biomarker in genetically high risk men."Sci Rep. 2013;3:2059. doi: 10.1038. Killick E, Morgan R, Launchbury F, Bancroft E, Page E, Castro E, Kote-Jarai Z, Aprikian A, Blanco I, Clowes V, Domchek S, Douglas F, Eccles D, Evans DG, Harris M, Kirk J, Lam J, Lindeman G, Mitchell G, Pachter N, Selkirk C, Tucker K, Zgajnar J, Eeles R, Pandha H.
- "Targeted prostate cancer screening in BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriers: results from the initial screening round of the IMPACT study."Eur Urol. 2014 Sep;66(3):489-99. Bancroft EK, Page EC, Castro E, Lilja H, Vickers A, Sjoberg D, Assel M, Foster CS, Mitchell G, Drew K, Mæhle L, Axcrona K, Evans DG, Bulman B, Eccles D, McBride D, van Asperen C, Vasen H, Kiemeney LA, Ringelberg J, Cybulski C, Wokolorczyk D, Selkirk C, Hulick PJ, Bojesen A, Skytte AB, Lam J, Taylor L, Oldenburg R, Cremers R, Verhaegh G, van Zelst-Stams WA, Oosterwijk JC, Blanco I, Salinas M, Cook J, Rosario DJ, Buys S, Conner T, Ausems MG, Ong KR, Hoffman J, Domchek S, Powers J, Teixeira MR, Maia S, Foulkes WD, Taherian N, Ruijs M, Helderman-van den Enden AT, Izatt L, Davidson R, Adank MA, Walker L, Schmutzler R, Tucker K, Kirk J, Hodgson S, Harris M, Douglas F, Lindeman GJ, Zgajnar J, Tischkowitz M, Clowes VE, Susman R, Ramón y Cajal T, Patcher N, Gadea N, Spigelman A, van Os T, Liljegren A, Side L, Brewer C, Brady AF, Donaldson A, Stefansdottir V, Friedman E, Chen-Shtoyerman R, Amor DJ, Copakova L, Barwell J, Giri VN, Murthy V, Nicolai N, Teo SH, Greenhalgh L, Strom S, Henderson A, McGrath J, Gallagher D, Aaronson N, Ardern-Jones A, Bangma C, Dearnaley D, Costello P, Eyfjord J, Rothwell J, Falconer A, Gronberg H, Hamdy FC, Johannsson O, Khoo V, Kote-Jarai Z, Lubinski J, Axcrona U, Melia J, McKinley J, Mitra AV, Moynihan C, Rennert G, Suri M, Wilson P, Killick E; IMPACT Collaborators, Moss S, Eeles RA.
- "Warfarin and Cutaneous Surgery" J.Lam, J.Lim, J.Clark, A.Knox, M.Poole, Mini poster presentation at the Annual Scientific Congress May 99 New Zealand.
- "Warfarin And Cutaneous Surgery: A Preliminary Prospective Study" J.Lam, J.Lim, J.Clark, A.Knox and M.Poole. Presented at the 1999 NSW RACS Registrar's Paper Day.
- "Acute Dissection beginning in the Abdominal Aorta: A Case Presentation" Bourke B, Lam J. Presented at the International Endovascular Symposium 2000 Scientific Programme, 7th December 2000.
- "Proximal Anastomotic Circumferential Teflon Collar in Juxta-Renal AAA repair" Margovsky A, La N, Lam J, Bourke B. Presented at the Annual Scientific Congress (Division of Vascular Surgery) Canberra May 2001.
- "The Delorme Procedure for Rectal Prolapse, Experience of a Single Metropolitan Hospital". Lam J, Wong S, Blomberg D. Presented at the NSW RACS Registrar Paper Day, 27th July 2002.
- "Retention volume as a predictor of outcome following TURP in patients presenting with acute urinary retention". J.Lam, I.Harvey, J.Miller. Presented at the Urological Society of Australasia SA & NT State Scientific Meeting, 20 - 21st September 2003.
- "Retention volume as a predictor of outcome following TURP in patients presenting with acute urinary retention". J.Lam, I.Harvey, J.Miller. Presented at the Keith Kirkland/ Vilis Marshall Prize Session of the Urological Society of Australasia 2004 Annual Scientific Meeting, 7 – 11th March 2004.
- "Outcomes in patients with high risk Ta Transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder following intravesical BCG: a single institutional experience". J.Lam. Presented at the Urological Society of Australasia SA & NT State Scientific Meeting, 5 - 7th November 2004.
- "Rectus sheath haematoma resulting in an extraperitoneal bladder rupture : A case report ". J.Lam, L. Spencer. Presented at the Urological Society of Australasia SA & NT State Scientific Meeting, 11 – 13th November 2005.
- "Operative management of renal tumours at the Royal Adelaide Hospital 2000-2005" J.Titus, J.Lam, E.Zickler. Presented at the USANZ SA/NT State Scientific Meeting, 11 – 13th November 2005.
- "AN UPDATE ON THE IMPACT STUDY: Identification of Men with a genetic predisposition to ProstAte Cancer: Targeted Screening in BRCA1/2 mutation carriers and controls". Familial Cancer Research and Practice Conference at Mantra in 11th August 2010. McKinley J, Drew K, Lindeman G, Taylor L, Shackleton K, Kirk J, Tucker K, Townshend S, Lam J, Suthers G, Amor D, McGaughran J, Harris M, Scott R, Frydenberg M, Ward R, Spigelman A, Stapleton A, IMPACT collaborators and Mitchell G.
- "Laparoscopic Nephrectomy/ Nephro-ureterectomy – single surgeon series". J. Lam , Urological Society of Australasia SA & NT State Scientific Meeting, 11th September 2010.
- "Does MIM-Transperineal Fusion Biopsy correlate well with the Robotic Prostatectomy (RALP) specimens? – a histopathological validation." I.M Hoh, P. Cohen, J. Lam, S .Chryssidis, J. Titus. Podium Presentation at the USANZ SA/NT State Scientific Meeting, Barossa Valley. Sept 2014.
- "Urethral stricture disease – assessment and management. Dilatation vs optical urethotomy vs urethroplasty", J.Lam, invited faculty, USANZ Trainee week 23-27th November 2014, Adelaide, South Australia.
- "Are all lasers created equal? When and which patient needs a specific laser?"J.Lam, Invited speaker the USANZ 68th Annual Scientific Meeting, Adelaide April 2015.
- 2006 - 2007 – Urology Fellowship at the Royal North Shore Hospital, Sydney NSW.
- 2005 - 2006 – Advanced Accredited Urology Registrar (Royal Adelaide Hospital, Adelaide, SA).
- 2004 – 2005 – Advanced Accredited Urology Registrar (Repatriation General Hospital, Daw Park, Flinders Medical Centre, SA).
- 2003 - 2004 – Advanced Accredited Urology Registrar (The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Woodville, SA).
- 2002 - 2003 – Advanced Accredited General Surgical Registrar
Colorectal surgery (Bankstown Hospital)
General Surgery, Urology (Tamworth Base Hospital)
- 2001 -2002 – Advanced Accredited General Surgical Registrar
Vascular Surgery (Liverpool Hospital)
General Surgery, Paediatric Surgery (Albury Base Hospital)
- 2000 -2001 – Non Accredited General Surgical Registrar – Gosford/ Wyong Hospital
- 1999 - 2000 - Resident Medical Officer 2 - St.George Hospital, Kogarah
- 1998 - 1999 - Resident Medical Officer 1 - St.George Hospital, Kogarah
- 1997 - 1998 - Internship - St.George Hospital, Kogarah